When adding a MarinePure Block to your system, to help increase your filtration capacity for dealing with nitrates, it has to go through the process of cycling in much the way that a new aquarium does. This can delay the availability of the additional filtration capacity from the MarinePure media by a month or so while bacteria migrates to the new media and slowly colonises it.
You can speed up this process by inoculating the Marine Pure media with DrTim’s One and Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria; this product will almost instantly establish the media as a working bio filter capable of nitrification, shortening the time until it becomes capable of denitrification.
- Select a waterproof container large enough to accommodate the amount of MarinePure to be inoculated.
- Using water from the aquarium that the block is destined to be added to, fill with sufficient water to cover the media.
- Take a 2 oz bottle of DrTim’s One and Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria, shake vigorously, and then add to the water.
- Submerge the MarinePure in the container and agitate for a minute or so to ensure that the live bacteria thoroughly penetrate the media.
- Leave for around half an hour before transferring to your sump or aquarium.
- Return remaining water to the system.
You can improve on this technique by carrying out the inoculation inside a plastic bag; the inoculated media can then be transferred to the aquarium without it being exposed to the air.
This procedure can also be used to turn other dry media, such as dried out reef rock, into a live bio filter, although you won’t benefit from the consistent filtration capacity of MarinePure.