What is so special about the Miracle Mud?
Miracle Mud is 80% oceanic mud, harvested in a certain region at a certain depth, 20% trade secret when processed we blend minerals and trace elements that is time released into the water column. Therefore it is not necessary to add any chemicals or additives to balance the water chemistry.
How often should I do a 50% mud change?
New Ecosystems can run for two years before a mud change is required. After this initial two-year period, a 50% mud change is needed each year thereafter.
Why do I need to do a 50% mud change?
A 50% mud change is necessary to replenish the essential trace elements that are consumed by the animals.
How to prepare for a mud change.
Premixed saltwater prepared 24 hours ahead of time (all volumes approximate), 2410 use 38 litres, 3012 use 56 litres, 3612 use 76 litres, 3616 use 95 litres. – Wide flat spatula or spoon – Siphon hose (minimum of 3/4″ inch in diameter) (pump optional) – (1 – 2) 25 litre bucket(s) – A few towels (for clean up) – Replacement Miracle Mud (50% of total amount needed for sump/filter) 2410 use 2.25 kg, 3012 use 4.5 kg, 3612 use 6.75 kg, 3616 use 9 kg.
How to perform a 50% mud change?
1. Unplug the lights and pumps in the sump/filter area. Allow the water to backflow into the sump/filter.
2. Siphon the loose detritus off the top of the entire Chamber 2/mud-bed with the siphon hose (you might remove a little mud during this process – which is acceptable).
3. Remove as much water as possible from Chamber 2/mud-bed area.
4. At this point, divide Chamber 2/mud-bed into 2 halves (left and right). Decide which half you will replace. Leave other side untouched until next year.
5. Remove the algae/plants from the half that you have decided to replace. Lay the plants on top of the other mud section for now.
6. Remove the mud with the spatula/spoon and discard the used mud.
7. Pour replacement mud into the filter and level off with your hand.
8. Lay the empty miracle mud bag over the top of the mud-bed and slowly pour the new premixed saltwater on top of the bag until the water level is 1 inch over the mud-bed (using the bag prevents disruption of the mud-bed when water is poured over it).
9. After a few minutes, carefully remove the bag and replant the algae/plants into the new mud-bed.
10. Again, lay the empty miracle mud bag on top of the algae bed and fill Chamber 2/mud-bed with water to the top of Chamber 3’s overflow wall.
11. Carefully remove plastic bag.
12. Remove floating debris from mud-bed chamber.
13. Allow system to settle for 1 hour.
14. Start system up (lights and pumps)
Do I need to inoculate the mud-bed with sea critters?
No. This will happen within 4 – 6 weeks.
What kind of Caulerpa/Plant do I need for my sump????
The function of Caulerpa is to create photosynthesis, which will oxygenate the water, and also fixation of nutrients for example Nitrates and Phosphates into plant biomass. Therefore it is important to keep the Caulerpa trimmed, which will help remove excess nutrients. To answer the question, any type of Caulerpa will achieve the goal.
Do I need Caulerpa Plants in my EcoSystem????
Caulerpa plants are beneficial but not absolutely necessary. Your EcoSystem will perform at an optimum level with Caulerpa Plants. Without Caulerpa Plants you can expect to see some Hair Algae in the main tank. This can be overcome by introducing algae grazing fish, crabs and snails. All the benefits from the Miracle Mud will still exist.
Trimming the Caulerpa. When and how often??????
Caulerpa should be trimmed or thinned as needed by utilizing scissors to cut away thick growth at the surface allowing light to penetrate the base. Do not pull Caulerpa holdfasts (root-like structures) from mud-bed.
What species of Caulerpa are best?
There is no one species better than another.
Can I use multiple species of Caulerpa?
Yes. Although it is likely that a single species will end up out competing the others.
Can I use Seagrass in the mud-bed chamber?
Can I use Chaetomorpha in the mud-bed chamber?
Can I plant a mangrove in the mud-bed?
Where do I get Caulerpa????
If your local dealer has an EcoSystem display, they should be harvesting Caulerpa on a regular basis. If they do not have a display, they should have a number of contacts in your area.
Will the EcoSystem mud filter work without algae or plants?
Can I have substrate in the main tank?
Yes, keep it under 1″ deep.
How much Live Sand or Crushed Coral do I put into my Main Tank????
In an Ecosystem tank the purpose of the substrate is for decoration only!!!! The substrate does not contribute to the filtration of the system. Our experiments indicate a base of 1″ or more could become a nutrient sink and could produce an undesired effect. The Nitrites and Phosphates will become high, an Algae Bloom could occur, and maybe Hydrogen Sulphide Gas. We recommend the substrate in the main tank be limited to 3/8″ or less. We also recommend siphoning the substrate to remove detritus and regular water changes.
How often should I do water changes in an EcoSystem filtered tank?
- Generally 5% – 10% per month (Marine of Freshwater)
- The purpose for water changes in an EcoSystem filtered tank is to remove detritus from the main tank and substrate. First turn off all your pumps. Using a small power head or turkey baster blow detritus off all rockwork, allow debris to settle on substrate for around a half hour before syphoning off. Replace all siphoned water and restart your system. Fish only tanks should be done bi-weekly basis.
How often should I feed the fish?
As often as you eat!!!! Two to three times daily.
What Freshwater plants can I use in the mud?
Any kind of easy fast growing aquatic plants.
Should the lights be left on 24/7 over the mud?
Yes, Marine and Freshwater.
How often should I change the lights on my filter?
Once a year.
Do I need Carbon in an EcoSystem filtered tank?
Can I use Carbon on an EcoSystem filtered tank?
Yes, carbon should only be used as a polisher after water change.
Is the EcoSystem method a modified algae scrubber?
What elements should I be testing for in my reef tank?
Calcium and dKH/ALK
Calcium should be between 350 – 450ppm
dKH / Alkalinity should be between 7 – 10 dKH (2.5 – 3.5 meq/L)
Can the Ecosystem sumps handle overflow water in the event of power failure?
Yes. Be sure to use the recommended sump size:
|150 – 227 Litres System 2410||265 – 360 Litres System 3012||380 - 511 Litres System 3612|
|530 – 908 Litres System 3616||946 – 1892 Litres System 4822||1892 - 3785 Litres System 7222|
Can I use a pre filter on an EcoSystem filtered tank?
Yes. Must be cleaned weekly.
Can I use a UV Sterilizer with an EcoSystem Filter?
Do I turn off my pump to feed my fish???
No!!! Not necessary.
Can I put a heater in the EcoSystem Sump????
Yes!!! We recommend you place it in chamber number one, please do not place it in chamber number two with the Miracle Mud and the live plants, the algae will grow on the heater and could kill the plants.
Can I use a calcium reactor in an EcoSystem mud filtered tank?
Note: some dimensions may be subject to review for UK.
EcoSystem aquarium UK